Saturday, June 14, 2008

Take Me Home, Country Roads

Anyone who knows the Player family well knows that we believe John Denver to be a long lost cousin, perhaps separated at birth, and that the "West Virginia" he sings about in Country Roads is actually a veiled reference to Deer Park, Washington. Or, at least we like his songs a lot.

I first discovered the therapeutic effects of our own country road the summer after my freshman year at BYU. I had been so frightfully homesick and stressed for the entire year, and then I came home and went for a walk. It was magical. An entire year's worth of stress and sadness melted away in the course of one short mile down Wallbridge Road.

Time stands stills there. Today I went for a walk and rediscovered the magic. Some changes greeted me: they've been logging in a few places (oh, woe is me) so some spots are a bit sparser. A few new houses have popped up. And this time I had an irresistibly kissable baby head be-bopping along in the Bjorn in front of me. But the feeling was the same; the feeling of complete and utter contentment with the world around me. I feel so small and insignificant when I walk it, but in a good way. For a few brief moments I get lost in my thoughts while the silence and the fresh air heal the dings and dents of my soul.

I wish all the wonderful mothers I know could share in healing of Wallbridge Road.

In the immortal words of the Statue of Liberty:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free

Come to Wallbridge Road! And if gas is too expensive, then find a quiet place and listen to some John Denver. We all know he's really singing about Deer Park, anyway.

3 comments:

Summersfam said...

Oh Shannon! You're KILLIN' ME!! Dang man. I know that feeling so well. I wish I could walk with you to the bus stop and back, and smell the dusty road and pine needles in the clean air of Wild Rose Prairie. Thanks so much for the pictures! We need to erect some sort of "Statue of Liberty-esque" monument to Wallbridge Road next time we're all home-- which hopefully will be this summer! And yeah, "West Virginia" is most definitely D.P. JD wrote that song for us.

LizzyP said...

I feel that way about Wild Rose Prairie, too. Maybe I need to have Dan read this post so that he buys our airplane tickets--turns out those are a little more expensive than the gas it would take to drive us to D.P.

Lisa Presley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.